Sunday, April 17, 2016

Interview with Azeb Tadesse



So my first interview was with Mrs. Tadesse, who is the assistant librarian at Lovett. She's Ethiopian and came here over 30 years ago. Because this was my first, it was very nerve racking. I came up with 4 questions, but I quickly realized they didn't apply to her! As an immigrant and someone who grew up in Ethiopia, she was/is never affected by the Lovett culture here. Her bond with her culture is so close, that her identity was never in jeopardy at all. Interestingly, this helped immensely when I went on to shape my other interviews. I'm glad I started with her because it would highlight a crucial aspect: time. Kids at Lovett only have so much time at home vs. school, which means limited time to practice their culture. If they don't get that much exposure, that kid's link with his/her culture would be strained when it came to practicing a different one.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you were able to include her in your interviews! Smart perspective ox

    ReplyDelete